Thursday, August 27, 2009

’John Schools’ Try to Change Attitudes About Paid Sex

The CNN headline reads,
Johns Schools try to Change Attitudes
about Paid Sex.
Thank you, thank you, Stephanie Chen for bringing this program to national attention. It's so important, establishing programs to change objectification of women, the slavery, in some sense of the word, of both women and men. Men are clearly the slaves to their attitudes.

This blog, as an initiative of Relationship-Wise and Whys, will be dedicated to safety issues in personal relationships, schools, institutions and organizations, .

I lost my innocence about this topic when hired to develop a rape treatment center, to do the research to establish a need for the center in Chicago for campus rape victims. Desensitizing wasn't hard for me, and won't be hard for you, either. We do have to start young, stop thinking that anything is too "adult" for kids anymore. We can't protect anyone unless we talk about it.

Check out the CNN page about prostitution for more on the re-education of sex attitudes.

Essentially we look at women as people, men, too, not objects of pleasure.

Pleasure in people isn't a bad idea. Professionals just feel it should be within the context of a loving, safe relationship, one that is consensual.

Informed consent, just so you should know, implies that a person is of legal age, and is not under the influence. If you have a sexual relationship and you are not a legal adult, the person you have agreed to have sex with (or not) is at risk of violating a law in your state.

And if you have one of these relationships, and you're high or even just a little tipsy, and you say Yes tonight, but regret it in the morning, then you might be considered a rape victim at any age, even if the "perpetrator" was high, too. For all intents and purposes. We'll be talking about what this means on this blog.

To be raped, molested, violated-- not good for a person. And it's not good, even to pay for sex, not for the purchaser, and not for the person behind the cash register. It does nothing for a guy's self-esteem, buying sex.

Linda Freedman

1 comment:

  1. This post is more than a year old and I'm just now reading it. I don't know if you'll see a reply to this or not. I guess I'll just post anyway. This is something I've thought about and even talked about for a long time. I feel offended when I hear people say that prostitution is a victimless crime. It is anything but victimless. And I think the man, the john, is a victim along with the woman he "buys" and the person who thinks it's okay to "sell" someone, or "rent" them for someone else's pleasure. I think prostitution is harmful to men for promoting the idea that women are available at any time, just name your price. I think it is deceitful for the ways it creates the illusion that there is some sort of pleasure for a woman under these circumstances. I think it promotes bad sex. I can't imagine it could be good, really, for a man's self-esteem, to buy the services of a woman. I've heard it argued that it's no different from buying the services of a day laborer, or any of the other countless ways that people earn livings; but I beg to differ as it is an invasion of one's body in a way that is different from other ways of work. I have a hard time imagining that it is good for a man to have a woman pretending to be interested in him. And then there are all the ways it's bad for a woman, to be thought of something to be bought and sold, to be at the mercy of and doing the bidding of another; to have one's body invaded, to live with the potential threat of physical harm from one's john or one's pimp if one fails to perform. I can't imagine that it is good for one's body, either, to be used repeatedly. Physical damage over time seems likely, even if no one is getting beaten up. I suspect that drugs and alcohol for many women who prostitute themselves is what makes it possible to perform repeatedly and that's not so good, either. I can't help thinking that many women who turn to prostitution may have sexual abuse in their past. I find it troubling that when I voice these opinions often the response I get is that I'm being a prude.

    ReplyDelete

And you are thinking. . .